Sunday, April 10, 2016

Zootopia Extra

Sometimes the subjects I write about are appropriate for either of my two blogs. That's when I have to decide to where to post it. Disney's latest animated success, Zootopia is one of those instances. You can read my 100 word review in the April 10, 2016 post of my RHFactors blog.  

However it is such a remarkable film that I find myself wanting to write more about it. I must warn you there could be some spoilers in the following observations. 

First of all, I read some very negative comments before I went to the theater; some of them by people who's opinions I respect. 

The majority of the negativity was about the films morality message and the "nudist colony" scene. Here are my takes on those concerns. 

The morality message is not anything radically different from other recent Disney films. This time bullying is in the mix but so is the expression of regret, forgiveness and dedicated friendship.  There is a bit more focus on racial prejudice in this one . But the moral of the story is really just another approach to the messages that have been part of the Disney philosophy Walt Disney, himself, was making movies back in the 50s and 60s.   

I believe the negative reaction over the "nudist colony" scene is a testimony to the director's and animators' ability to drawl the audience into the story. 

In Zootopia, animals have evolved to the point where wearing clothing is as much of a fundamental part of the culture as it is for humans in the real world. 

So when Hopps, being a morally good person, finds herself in a place where that cultural boundary is crossed it is a bit embarrassing for her. However, in our world; animals don't wear clothes (except for those who's owners force them to which is totally wrong. But that's a different post for a different blog). So the fact that the animals in this scene don't have any clothes on should not be seen as taboo by the audience; only in the context of Hopp's point of view. 

Another aspect is that this is not by far the first time that anthropomorphic animated animals have been drawn without clothes. How many times has it been pointed out that Porky Pig or even Disney's own Donald Duck don't wear pants?  Kids don't think anything about this because their pets and animals in the zoo don't wear clothes. It's not anything out of the ordinary. 

In addition the positions in which the animals are drawn, I don't believe, are purposely suggestive. They are common to the activity they are participating in at the time, yoga. 

The perception that the animals are deliberately drawn in suggestive positions says more about the minds of those who think it than it does the filmmakers. 

Besides the whole purpose of the scene is to push Hopps outside her comfort zone and to advance the story ironically through a stoner character wonderfully voiced by Tommy Chong. The scene is just a few minutes long; don't let it ruin the rest of what is a terrific film.   



The development of the friendship between Judy Hopps and Nick Wilde as they track down a missing otter is the heart of Zootopia. Like other "buddy pictures" their adventure takes them to places they never expected to go. They make unexpected and unlikely allies while uncovering a secret conspiracy that threatens the future of Zootopia's society. 

I must admit I think the plot is a little predictable. At one point in act 2, the movie turns into an animated spy movie with overtones of a Marvel movie, rather than a Disney feature. In the third act the direction of the story gets a bit muddled. 

There are scary moments that could frighten little kids, say under the age of 7 or 8. But they had to be included to make the plot believable. 

While the Hopps/Wilde relationship is the most endearing and enduring thing about the movie the overall humor is what makes it enjoyable. 

There are different levels of jokes, ironic references, and sight gags throughout. Most of them are either cleverly funny or make you laugh out loud. 

At the end of Zootopia, Judy Hopps' voice over summarizes the takeaway from the film. 

Idealistic dreams and doing the impossible can be difficult to achieve in the "real world" but they are not impossible. And doing the impossible has always been the idea behind the Wonderful World of Disney. 

A couple of final thoughts about my overall theater experience last Saturday night. There were several trailers including two for movies I'd previously had my doubts about.  

The newest trailer for "The Secret Life of Pets" shows more of what the real plot is going to be. It made me laugh and has gotten me interested in seeing it. 

The trailer for Disney's soon-to-be released remake of "The Jungle Book" included enough action from the film that I am now looking forward to buying my ticket and seeing it this coming weekend. I will let you know what I think of it when I do.