Monday, May 23, 2016

WDW Trip 2016-Part 11: The Long Way Around The World

Blogger's Note: Ever use the phrase "I'm so tired I can hardly think straight"? Well, in this edition of my WDW trip report that applies to me. My family was pretty tired too. I'll explain as I share our evening in Epcot's World Showcase. 

As we headed into World Showcase plaza from Future World West, the intentions of our group were rather vague to me. I knew that we were looking for more of the Flower & Garden topieries and that James wanted to get something to eat in Germany but other than that I wasn't sure what we were going to do. 

I was very tired from the long day we'd had up until this time. I wasn't thinking straight. For the first time in our vacation I was about to let my family down in my capacity as their guide.

When we came out of Future World West we should have gone to the left. We could have boarded a water taxi, which would have taken us across the lagoon right to the Germany pavilion. That would have made our night so much easier. But here's how it did happen. 

We made a right and headed toward the Canada pavilion. There we saw topiaries of Bambi and his friends. 


No one seemed interested in going into the pavilion to look around so we continued our counter clockwise journey. This told me that, with Germany being one of our destination, there was a good chance that we may be in for the entire 1.2 mile walk around the World Showcase lagoon.  

As we approached the United Kingdom pavilion we saw a couple of Aria's favorite topiaries. Captain Hook and Tick Tock the Crock. 

There were also some floral versions of the friends from the 100 acre woods. 


At this point Brandi needed to eat to settle her stomach. So finding a place to get something she liked so she'd feel better became a priority. This was something I totally understood, no problem. The place we needed to go was the quick service window at the American Adventure pavilion. That was 4 pavilions away, still about a 1/4 mile from where we were at the time. So we headed that way. 

It's at this point in my story that I'd like to pause for a moment to describe what the atmosphere and crowd were like as we walked through the World Showcase on this night. 

In addition to all the topiaries and special floral displays, a big part of the Flower & Garden Festival is the international foods and specialty "adult beverages." This is true especially in the World Showcase. During the festival alcohol, already a big part of World Showcase (just google "drinking around World Showcase) becomes an even bigger part of the experience. Because of this being in this section of Epcot felt more like we were in the middle of an international street party than anything else.

There were people walking around with drinks, some obviously on the verge of having one too many; others clearly having that as a goal. Also there were groups of people standing in the middle of the walk ways socializing; making walking along the pomade like a serpentine obstacle  course. 

The best way I can put it is that there was a lot of carousing. I know that's an old fashioned term but it fits. This made me feel very uneasy. 

Now let me stress that no one bothered us nor did we have any issues due to what was going on. It just wasn't exactly the kind thing I felt comfortable having my granddaughter around. 

It was a very very different experience than any other we'd had all week. It didn't feel like Disney. But we were in the middle and we had to make the best of it. 

We managed to make a stop at the France Pavilion long enough to get our pictures taken in front of the Beauty & The Beast topiary. 

I also snapped a couple of shots of flowery versions of my favorite castle characters. 


Near Morocco, we saw a sand sculpture promoting the soon to be released remake of The Jungle Book. 
Finally, we made it to the American Adventure and found the Liberty Inn counter service restaurant. We got our food and sat at an outside table overlooking the promenade and lagoon. Brandi got herself a burger and shared it with Aria.
As I stated before, James wanted food from the German pavilion. So he went on down to Germany. We would catch up with him after we finished eating. 

Although eating did make her feel better, Brandi was still very tired. I thought it might be best if we left after we met up with James and headed for the front gate. But the American Adventure pavilion is the midpoint of the Showcase. I knew we had as much walking ahead of us as we did behind us. 

But that's when my mind kicked in and I thought of an easier way to go. We could catch the water taxi from this side of the lagoon and cut down on the walking. 

I asked a cast member where we could catch the taxi. He said right outside of Germany (great! we were going there anyway) but because of the Illuminations fireworks show at 9 o'clock the last one ran at 7:30. It was 7:45. 
We couldn't catch a boat or a break. 

So it looked like we were taking the long way around. 

We said "howdy" to the Woody topiary before leaving the American Adventure area. 
 Along out trek to Germany we saw Mufasa, Sarabi, Simba and Rafiki from "The Lion King."
When we caught up with James he was standing at a table next to the lagoon across from the Germany pavilion. He was eating and talking with some guys he met while in line for his food.

Once we started back on our way the other members of my family decided they wanted to do a little browsing of some of the shops and kiosks along the way. 

Paula went into "Karamel Kutche" the Wurther's Original carmel candy shop just before we left Germany. She bought a chocolate covered carmel filled turtle and a paper cone full of carmel drizzled popcorn. She shared some of the popcorn. It was very good.  

James and Brandi explored a few of the kiosks. Somewhere along the way Aria picked out another novelty toy in one of the souvenir shops. 

Although half of it was concealed by walls because of the construction of the new Frozen Ever After attraction, we stopped by the Norway pavilion to take pictures of the royal family of Arendelle. 

 By the time we got to the Mexican pavilion area most of us needed to find a restroom so we headed to a building the park map calls "The Odyssey Center." From what I later found out it's used to be a restaurant and is now only used for special events.   

We were lucky enough to find an open bench along the wall next to the restroom walkway. Paula and I took advantage and sat down to rest our legs. 

It was about 8:30 by then and the crowd started to gather around the World Showcase Lagoon in anticipation of the start of Illuminations:Reflections of Earth. 

James & Brandi decided that they wanted to stick around and let Aria enjoy the fireworks. 

With the available viewing places filling in very quickly they decided to go get their place and wait until the show started. 

Paula and I opted to stay on the bench. Initially, I thought we would have a good view of the lagoon from the bench we were sitting on but as it turned out there was a building in the way. I was too tired to even consider moving to a place where we could watch it. 

At about 8:55 an announcement came over the PA system advising guests to stay in one place when the lights around the World Showcase dimmed. At 9PM it became much darker and the crowd became one continuous silhouette around the lagoon. 

From our vantage point we could see the highest fireworks but most of the show was blocked. But that didn't bother me. I had found the place where Brandi and James were standing. Aria was perched securely on her daddy's shoulder's enjoying the show. I enjoyed watching her reaction to night time spectacular. 
Thirteen minutes later, the show was over. It was time for us to head to out of the park. So the 5 of us along with thousands of other guests headed for the inevitable bottle neck that was the walkway between Showcase Plaza and Future World. 

As tired as I was, I really didn't like being forced to bunch up with strangers. We would be a part of the moving hive until we reached the Innoventions Courtyard and the crowd spread out into Future World. 

But as we turned the corner onto Odyssey Bridge, I got an unexpected surprise. There were some graphics projected onto Spaceship Earth. 

This was something I had never ever heard of before. Even with all the travel guides, trip planning websites, and podcasts I listen to I had no idea this was going on. Seeing it came as a complete and pleasant surprise. 
The sea of humanity moved along at a slow but steady pace. It took us about 15-20 minutes to get out of the park and head toward the parking lot. 

Earlier in the evening, I had agreed to drive home. It was the only time I drove to and from the park that week. All of us were very glad the day was over. Soon after arriving back at the house, everyone said "good night" and retreated to the serenity and comfort of our bedrooms.  

The task of visiting all 4 parks during our vacation was now complete. But we still had one day to go in our vacation; one more park admission left on our tickets. We would use it for our second trip to the Magic Kingdom. 

There were some first time experiences yet to be enjoyed, Paula had yet to enjoy her favorite Walt Disney World snack, and there was a dragon in our future. Be sure to check back soon for the conclusion of our week. 

In My Next Post: Lunch in a castle, a show for the birds, going for a spin, and a good-bye cruise. All that and more in Part 12. 

   


  





  


   

  • Anna and Elsa from Frozen
    Located at Norway Pavilion