Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Finding Walt At the End of The Rainbow

Because St. Patrick's day is Thursday this past weekend my wife and I watched the DVD of the Disney movie, Darby O'Gill and The Little People. It's about Leprechauns. The most notable thing about it is that is stars a very young Sean Connery who actually sings. 

After the movie was over I remembered having something about the movie on a special DVD set called "Your Host: Walt Disney". It's part of the Disney Treasures series they put out a few years ago. 

I looked on the menu of the "Your Host" DVD and found a Disneyland TV show called "I captured the King of the Leprechauns." It was a show about Walt, who was part Irish himself, going to Ireland in search of authentic "little people" to star in his new movie about Ireland. He ends up bringing back the Leprechaun king and many of his subjects.

As I looked through the material included in the DVD set I found the picture you see at the top of this post. It was a special gift inside the DVD set. The back of the picture says that is was taken in 1956 at the time Walt was taping some of his introductions for his Disneyland TV show. 

It's a very good picture (even if it's black & white) and shows Walt Disney at the pinnacle of his career. He'd just opened Disneyland and was busy making more classic animated features and live action ones as well. 

So now I have this picture on display along with the rest of my Disney stuff in the computer room of my house. I'm glad I found it. I guess it was a bit of the luck of the Irish.