Friday, March 11, 2011

The Oscar Goes To "Dory"



This morning I turned on the Disney Channel trying to catch a few of the new shows that are part of the programming block known at "Disney Jr." But it was after 10 o'clock, and too late to see them. But I was happy to see that the movie "Finding Nemo" was coming on.

I really like "Finding Nemo" it's my favorite Pixar movie and in my top10 of all Disney animated features. I know it's Pixar but since Disney now owns the CG animation studio I consider all it's features Disney movies.

Every time I watch "Nemo" its for one reason: Ellen Degeneres' performance as "Dory". The memory challenged Blue Tang is my all time favorite Disney character. Now that's a "news bulletin" because I've never stated that until this post. Not a surprise though. I mean I named my dog after her. My previously announced favorite Disney character was Timon from the Lion King. After much consideration I've decided he's 2nd. Dory is definitely first. Of course Goofy is my favorite Disney icon.

Without Dory, "Finding Nemo" would not be anywhere near the terrific movie that it is. Her innocence, loyalty, and optimism all combine to make a character you can't help but love and want as a friend of your own.

Ellen Degeneres' vocal inflections, comedic timing, and overall performance is, in my opinon, absolutely the best ever by a voice actor. Even after seeing "Finding Nemo" dozens of times since 2003 I still get touched and tickled by Dory.

When she speaks "whale" it cracks me up every time. Her hurtful reaction when she realizes that Marlin is telling her to "go away" always chokes me up.
Because of the strength of her performance I've always contended that Ellen Degeneres should have been nominated for an the Academy Award for best supporting actress in 2004. Renee Zelwiger won that award at the 75th Oscar ceremonies that year. Her performance in "Cold Mountain" was good but I'll bet it's not as strong as Ellen's.

I know that it's been nearly 7 years since the 2004 Oscars. I probably should learn to let things go. But strong performances in animated features are rather rare and this one is very close to my heart. I mean in January 2004 I named my dog "Dory".

So the next time you see "Finding Nemo" try and pay special attention to Dory's lines and consider the degree to which they support and effect the story. That's what the Oscar winning "Best Supporting Actress" should do. I mean, if Marisa Tome can win for her role in "My Cousin Vinny" why not Ellen Degeneres for "Finding Nemo"?

I hope you agree with me because at this point that's the only satisfaction I'll ever get about the situation.

But I really can't blame the Motion Picture Academy. I mean it's members often miss the obvious pick for the awards. Take this year for instance. They really missed the boat by not picking Pixar's "Day & Night" as best animated short. But that's a subject for a different post.

Now go put in the DVD and watch my favorite fish help with "Finding Nemo".  It's an award winning performance...or at least it should have been.