Saturday, June 25, 2016

Changes In Walt Disney World

It's been a couple of weeks since I finished my series about my March visit to Walt Disney World. That vacation was just a little over 100 days ago. 

I am still sharing memories of our days at Disney World with my granddaughter. We talk about it every time she comes for a visit. 

I am also still working on organizing the nearly 2000 pictures we took during our trip. Both of those things keep the spirit of our latest family Disney experience alive and makes my "heart grow fonder" in my absence from the parks.  

Then of course there's the Disney themed vidcasts and podcasts I watch and listen to each week that keep me in touch with what's happening in Disney World. There's also Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. 

This past week those social media outlets were bombarded with news and videos surrounding the opening of several major attractions and entertainment offerings around "The World." 

As I read all the posts this week, I started to think about all the other new things that have come to the resort in the 3 plus months since me and my family were there.  

Here are 10 significant changes that have taken place at Walt Disney World since March 10, the last day I was there. I will be counting them down in what I consider, order of significance and expounding on what I think of them. 

10. New Magic Band "Special Surprises" have been reported at Mission Space, Magic Mountain, and Rock N' Rollercoaster. 
The reason I listed this as the #10 change is because I am not a big "must stay on property" guy or fan of magic bands. 

But if, like my son, Michael, you are one who believes that staying on property is an essential part of the Disney World experience and always wear a magic band, this may "special surprise" perk may be something you will like. 

I believe it's aimed at families because it has a greater impact when its experienced with a group or by younger children who can read.
  
9. STK, D-Luxe Burgers, Aristo Crepes, BB Wolf Sausage Co. Amorettes Patissorie, Sprinkles and other food venues open at Disney Springs.
The project to transition Downtown Disney into Disney Springs started over 3 years ago. 

So it's good for the project that these new food venues are now open in the area. Unfortunately, for me, they are probably either too expensive or too "fancy". 

But I'm going to keep an open mind and at least check out some of them next time I'm at Disney Springs. 

8. There's A New Magic Kingdom Castle Show. 
"Dream Along with Mickey", the show that was there when we visited ended on April 3 after nearly a 10 year run. The new show, "Mickey's Royal Friendship Faire", debuted just this past week, on June 17.

I understand that it is a very good replacement. I haven't watched the video of the new show but I probably will before too long.

7. Toy Story Midway Mania Has a 3rd Track
During our trip we were lucky enough to score a Fast Pass for this ride and only waited 10-15 minutes in line. 

With the May 25 opening of the additional ride track the previously exceptionally long waits in the stand-by lines (as high as 90 minutes) have been lowered significantly. According to a June 25 article on the Orlando Sentinel's website waits have averaged less than an hour over the last month. This makes the wait a little more manageable for guests and worth the time investment. 

6. Frozen Princesses Meet & Greet Moves To Epcot.
This change is linked directly to another that will be closer to the top of the list.

Princess Fairytale Hall was where Aria met Anna & Elsa during our trip. We got there rather early in the day and our wait was minimal. 

But throughout the time of their residency there the wait time for this Meet & Greet has been up to 2 or 3 hours. But that's changed now.  

As of June 21st the royal family of Arendelle have left that venue and are now in the Norway Pavilion in Epcot. 

While it may be directly linked to the popularity of the other new Norway attraction, the wait times that I've seen for the Royal Sommerhaus, the new M&G location, have been a lot shorter.  

5. "Soarin" Reopens With A New Film and a 3rd Theater
I have only ridden "Soarin" once during my 50th birthday trip in September 2010. I didn't ride it again because of the long wait time. It's historically been a high as 3 hours. 

Over the last couple of years the quality of this ride, especially the film, had deteriorated. 
Now after a lengthy rehab and the addition of a 3rd theater the wait times have come down significantly.  


4. Town Center Opens In Disney Springs
One of the biggest pieces to the Disney Springs puzzle, Town Center, opened on May 15 with 21 stores; with more coming this summer. 

From what I've seen and heard it has the place feels more like an outlet mall than anything else. Perhaps the best thing about this area opening is that the Lime parking garage is now open too.  
3. New Star Wars Fireworks Show Debuts 
At Disney Hollywood Studios
"Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular" a new and exciting fireworks show proves even more that Disney is aggressively looking to drawl Star Wars fans to the studios sooner than later. 

The projections on the Chinese Theater brings the Studio's closing event into the same league with those at the Magic Kingdom. I can't wait to see this one.

2. "Frozen Ever After" Opens In Norway Pavilion
After two years of construction, the Frozen themed ride opened in World Showcase on June 21. 

On opening day the stand-by line waiting time was as long as 5 hours. As I write this on the weekend after the opening it's currently 2 1/2 hours.

There have also been reports of delays due to the ride not working right as well.  

This attraction means a different dynamic for the entire World Showcase. Just how that happens and what the new "norm" for visiting Epcot will be is going to be interesting to watch.  

1. The Way Fast Pass Plus Works In My Disney Experience. 
The limits and perimeters of booking Fast Pass Plus reservations through the My Disney Experience App at the time of our March vacation was very limiting. But I learned how to work the system and made the best of it. 

A couple of weeks after we were back home changes and a new freedom for booking FP+ times on the app was announced. 

You can now book for times for one, two, or three attractions at a time. Changing those times is easier too. 

But best of all, is the change that allows a guest to book additional Fast Passes from the app instead of having to visit a kiosk in the park. 

These changes aren't very useful to me now but they will be when it comes time to plan my next trip. As of now I have no idea when that will be. 

So there you have, what I consider to be the to the 10 most important changes at or in Walt Disney World since my last visit. If you want information or details about any of these changes, there are plenty of resources online. You can read news, articles and reviews, as well as watch videos and more.  

As I mentioned, at this point I have no idea when my next visit to Disney World, or even Florida for that matter, will be. 

That means the way I access, gather, and use news and information about Disney will take a different perspective for a while but I'll explain that in a little more detail in my next post.