Wednesday, June 8, 2016

WDW Trip 2016-Part 13: Shopping & Heading Home

It took 6 days, 4 Parks, and the anticipation of the 13 hour drive back to Kentucky to get one of our 5 "survivors" to drop out of the Disney Vacation game. Let me explain. 

Once we got back to our vacation home from our last day at the Magic Kingdom, James and Brandi realized that they hadn't done a lot of the souvenir shopping they needed to do. Of course the best place for that is Disney Springs. 

They decided that they were going there to get the things they needed to take home to friends and family. 

Paula said she was going to stay at the house because she was just too tired to face walking that much again. I totally understood. 

After spending a day of our December vacation in the newly rethemed shopping district, I was pretty familiar with this area of Disney World. So I decided to go along with the kids as a guide. I also wanted a specific type of souvenir that could only be purchased at a Disney Springs specialty shop. 

We parked in the orange parking garage near the section of Disney Springs called "The West Side" and headed east toward the Landing Dock area. 

Now in hindsight, I should have gotten us to the Marketplace area the same way Paula & I got there back in December; by way of the water taxi but I didn't. The reason being, I thought walking there would give them the chance to see as much of Disney Springs as they could. That turned out not to be the best of ideas. Sorry Brandi & James. 

The first order of business was to find a place to get something to eat. But all the places that offered something for everyone were all the way over in the Marketplace area.  

It was almost half a mile walk to get there. The first couple of restaurants we went to were really crowded with a long wait to get in. We even went to the T-Rex restaurant but the wait was just as long. 

We ended up waiting in line for about 20 minutes at Wolfgang Puck's Express. Paula and I ate there back in December and we really liked it. 

I had the mac & cheese, 
Brandi had the rotisserie chicken,
I don't remember what James or Aria had. 

After we ate it was time to go shopping. The places I knew they would find what they were looking for were back in the direction we came from. The  store that sold the souvenir I specifically came for was in the opposite directon at the east end of the Market Place. 

I split up with them. They went to do their shopping and I went to Disney Design-A-Tee shop. There I used one of their ordering kiosks to make my own customized Disney t-shirt.  The order would take about an hour to process so I headed back down to meet up with James & Brandi.     

I found them at the "Once Upon A Toy" Store.
It was this stop that gave me a couple of last minute memorable Disney vacation moments with my granddaughter. 

While James & Brandi shopped I volunteered to entertain Aria. Even though she had a busy day at the Magic Kingdom, she was still full of energy. I couldn't get her to focus on any of the toys. Because she was in such a strange place all she wanted was her mommy & daddy. 

I took her outside the store where there was a fountain with streams of water that came out of the ground. Here's a picture to show you what it looks like. 

I just wanted to sit and watch the water. She immediately wanted to go running through it. 
I didn't know if Brandi would be upset if I let her get wet. 

Certainly, I couldn't make her just sit there with me. So I came up with an alternative. I told her I would take a video of her running as fast as she could to the edge of the fountain and back. I would record a video on my phone that she could show her Nana. She bought into that. 

Soon Brandi came out and joined us. I told her that I had to discourage Aria from getting into the fountain cause it was getting cooler. 

She had no problem with her getting wet. So once her mommy told her it was okay, off Aria went into the fountain. The intermittent timing of the water streams eventually got her. 
 

Well, as anyone who has a four year old knows, whatever you let them do what they want, they eventually want to "kick it up a notch". So Aria got the great idea that it would be more fun with her and me to go through the fountain together. "Come on Papa" she said.

I really didn't want to get wet but I couldn't deny the chance to make this memory. So I devised a plan to have fun with my granddaughter but not end up soaked. 
       
As you can see I was successful. What a lot of fun it was. Aria had a ball and I have a memory to add to my vacation collection. 

If there is a "Mecca" for shopping for Disney merchandise, it was our next destination; the World of Disney store. 

If there's something you want that has anything to do with almost any Disney character this is the place. It is a huge store. 
Here's a link to a You Tube video tour of the store, compliments of "Everything Disney Shopping". World Of Disney Tour

The first thing on our agenda was to get a towel so my granddaughter could dry off and keep warm. Once that was done we browsed around looking for other things. 

I bought some things but to tell you the truth I don't remember all of it. I know I picked up a snow globe with 2016 on it. 

But the two things I really wanted in World of Disney I didn't buy...at least right then. 
I thought these two character night lights were very cool. Paula would love the Tinkerbell...

...And Of course Lumier is one of my favorite Disney friends. 

I wanted to get them but they were kind of on the expensive side. At the end of a week of spending "mucho deniro" I just couldn't justify it. Even the inner monologue that whispered "you're in Disney, just go for it" couldn't over ride my concern for the "when all is said and done" bank account balance. 

But it really wasn't a "get or forget it" decision. The pictures I took would help me remember to revisit these souvenirs by way of the Disney Merchandise phone app from home later on. Both are now part of our Disney collection.    

Next we stopped by the Wetzel's Pretzels adjacent to the Waterside Stage. There was some kind of dance contest being hosted by a couple of DJs on stage and the crowd was having a very good time. We sat and watched them for a while.  

Once we finished our snacks it was off to the Lego Store. 
We walked around the entire store and Aria got something to take home. Believe it or not, I didn't find anything I wanted or didn't have already. 

Having been to all the shopping destinations on our list it was now time to think about going back to the house. But first I had to go pick up my special t-shirt. 

Along the way, Aria spotted a train ride near "Once Upon A Toy". She wanted to ride it but insisted that James go it with her. It provides the second daddy/daughter moment of the day. 

Unfortunately, because of the file size limitations on blogspot I can't upload the video here. But it is now on my You Tube channel. Click on this Link: 
Aria's Disney Springs Train Ride

Once we were back in the Market Place area, we split up again. I went to get my t-shirt. My first customized Goofy t-shirt, which I got back in December, was grey, had a picture of Goofy in the center and had the phrase: When They Say I'm a Goofy Guy... They're Right In Several Ways. 

This time I decided to go with the same type of message but approach it from a different direction. Here's my new Goofy t-shirt. 


 I'm particularly proud of this shirt and it's printing for several reasons:

  • It's a phrase with a double meaning
  • It's a pun on a popular adage
  • It explains that a lot of my admiration for Goofy is most likely the reason why I sometimes don't act my age. (sometimes?)
  • It has a reminder of when & where I got it

 I once again reunited with the kids at the Goofy's Candy Co. store.
What a sugar filled wonderland this place is. As far as sweets are concerned, you name it they have. I took advantage of the opportunity to stock up on some of  my favorite flavor Jelly Belly Beans: Dr. Pepper.
Of course, I also got a bag of Paula's favorite flavors for her too.

Well, the time had come to go home. I think we all had hit the wall of exhaustion. So I suggested that we do something going to get back to the car that would be easier and faster for all of us.

We left the Market Place and headed down the dock walkway near the DVC property, Saratoga Springs. 


We got on board a water taxi and rode it across the to the West Side. The cast member piloting the boat was very friendly. I asked him a question about Seven Seas Lagoon (don't remember what it was). He answered it and went on to give me a very informative oral history of the lake. 

We got off the boat at the West Side dock next to the House of Blues. We headed to the orange garage, found our cars, and headed back to the house. Thus ended the last day of our Walt Disney World vacation. 

On Friday morning we got up finished packing, loaded up the cars and left the vacation home. Brandi and James left before us. They were just a bit ahead of us about half way home but we caught up with them around Atlanta. 

Speaking of Atlanta, We hit the city about rush hour; not a good time on a Friday afternoon. I decided to try and take the by pass around the city. But it was not a good idea. With the traffic and the construction detours it took us about an hour to get through the area. 

The rest of the drive home was uneventful but very long. Finally after about a 13 hour drive we pulled into our home driveway at 10:45 PM. So glad to be home. 

The trip odometer on the Kia displayed the final total distance we had traveled. 
If you add that to the miles of our December 2015 trip it means we've traveled just under 3400 miles between Kentucky and Florida in a span of 3 months. 

I know this 13 part series has been rather detailed (understatement?). I've also shared a lot of personal insights as well. I'm glad that now have a written record of Aria's first trip to Disney World. Something I'm hoping one day she can read and remember for herself. 

I am glad that I was able to plan as much of the trip as I did. It wasn't the perfect plan but it did work for the most part and made it a better trip. It also got me familiar with the My Disney Experience app and using Fast Pass Plus; technology I had been avoiding since it was introduced. Now I know it can be helpful. 

Regrettably, even after 4 trips to Disney World, I have yet to discover a way to balance things enough so that it is not totally exhausting.

I know it's possible because I've listened to lots of people on lots of podcasts who have done it. But I've yet to find that "sweet spot" for myself and my fellow travelers. I could go on but that's a discussion for another post. 

This trip was the first time we'd ever been to Disney with a young child. When James went with us for the first time he was a teenager. Having Aria along made it totally different from any of the other 3 and by far the most sentimental. 

I guess the appeal of Walt Disney World is that there are so many things to do and experience that each and every visit holds the potential to be unique. The place is constantly evolving but that's also being accompanied by cost and price increases. The price point for those unique experiences makes it more and more difficult to feel like you've gotten your value for your dollar. Again, that's another post.  

Because of the diversity of all my Disney trips I am optimistic about future trips with both of my grandchildren. I'm thinking maybe in about 5 years.  

Thank you for being a part of this reliving of what will be my favorite vacation for a long time to come. Hope you enjoyed it. If you have any comments, questions, or things you want to share about your Disney experience get in touch with me on Facebook (facebook.com/ron.havens.50), Twitter(@RHFactors909), or email (RHavenw1423@aol.com).
I'm looking foward to hearing from you. For now this is Goofy Guy 909 wishing you a magical day.