Sunday, April 3, 2011

Goofy Guy Disney Music Tournament Round 5: The Final Four

And then there were 2. Today is the day that I decide who will compete for in the first ever championship round of the Goofy Guy Disney Music Tournament. These are the Semi-Finals.

It’s the final four and comes down to a pair songs from “The Lion King” and a pair of songs that were written while Walt Disney was alive. Let’s get to the match ups.

Round 5 Semi-Finals

Game 1

“Circle Of Life” VS “Just Can’t Wait To Be King”

For 4 rounds I’ve been expounding on the majestic nature (no pun intended) and universal appeal of “Circle of Life”. The ceremony for which this song serves as the anthem is part of the acknowledgement of that “bigger thing” I mentioned previously.

All the animals, from the large elephants to the tiny ants, are gathering to honor their future king. Using this song at the beginning of “The Lion King” draws the audience into the story right away. It gives the nonverbal message that sets the bar for this movie high from the start. The viewer is told by the director that this may be a Disney movie but it’s going to be much more than a fun adventure with interesting character. It’s going to teach us about life outside the "pride lands."

“Just Can’t Wait To Be King” is a song that involves animals as well. But it’s a song with choreography that’s both “amazing” and has an agenda. Simba, like all youngsters, is frustrated by having to follow the rules. He knows that his future includes an ascent to the throne and becoming king of "all that the light touches." With his limited vision can only see his future reign as a means of gaining freedom from what he sees as the bounds of authority.

The animals are singing and dancing in anticipation of the hope that usually accompanies the promise of a young new ruler. They optimistically look forward to when the cub becomes ruler. It’s a fun celebratory song about the hopes for the future.

Having made these points about both of these songs my choice in this half of the final four match ups comes down to this. What is my favorite song from “The Lion King?”  The answer that question is a difficult to answer but I must choose.

The first tournament finalist is…”Just Can’t Wait To Be King”.

Game 2

“When You Wish Upon A Star” VS “Feed The Birds”

This is yet another “old school” match up. Walt Disney personally decided that these songs would be part of his movies. They both communicate an aspect of the  Disney Company's original philosophy. This is a tough decision.

“When You Wish Upon  A Star”: All someone has to do is hear the melody of this song and the wonderful world of Disney comes to mind. The day after the Superbowl, in one of the most successful continuing commercial  campaigns ever, images of the winning team scroll across the TV screen before that ubiquitous question  is asked: “What are you going to do now?”  When its first 6 notes are play at the start of a video the viewer knows it’s going to be a Disney production. This song is Disney.

“Feed The Birds” was the 2nd choice for the marquee song for Mary Poppins. Her original romantic ballad was “The Eyes Of Love.” Julie Andrews didn’t like “The Eyes Of Love.” She went directly to Walt Disney to protest that she found it “inappropriate” for her character. The Sherman Brothers then wrote “Feed The Birds.”

As I’ve stated in previous rounds it was a song that consistently brought a tear to Walt Disney’s eye. Richard Sherman still plays it during his public performances as a tribute to “the boss.”

These songs are so closely identified with Disney the difference in their values is microscopic. So I’m going to have to use my personal experience to determine which of them is a finalist.

Mary Poppins was the first Disney movie I can remember going to see at the theater. My Uncle Gene took me to the State Theater when I was 5. “Feed The Birds” was a song that was included on a Disney album I owned when I was about the same age. It was one of my favorite songs almost from the first time I heard it. I loved that album so much, and as such “Feed the Birds," that last year I found a copy and bought it.  

I can play “When You Wish Upon A Star” on my melodica. I used to listen to it over and over as I planned for and dreamed of the day I would step off a plane and into the Magic Kingdom for the first time. It was the soundtrack of my dream to go to Walt Disney World as it has been for the millions who have been there over these past 40 years.

So even my personal experiences with these two songs are equally meaningful. But a decision has to be made.

The second tournament finalist is…”When You Wish Upon A Star”.

That makes the final match up in this first ever Goofy Guy Disney Music Tournament

“Just Can’t Wait To Be King” from The Lion King 
                               VS

“When You Wish Upon A Star” from “Pinocchio”

Which one will win the title of “Goofy Guy’s Best Disney Song Of All Time” The finals are next.