Monday, April 4, 2011

Goofy Guy Disney Music Tournament Round 6: The Final Match Up

It started out with 64 teams and now only two remain. It has come down to “new school” vs “old school” for my choice for the best Disney song ever. Over the last 5 rounds I’ve discussed and elaborated on the significance and quality of these two finalists. But now I’ve got to decide which one I consider the best. As a production number “Just Can’t Wait To Be King” is the best of them. For conveying the essence of Disney and connecting with Walt, “When You Wish Upon A Star” is top dog. But there can only be one winner and I must make that choice. Here we go.

Round 6: The Finals

“Just Can’t Wait To Be King” VS “When You Wish Upon A Star”

Back in the mid 90’s when “The Lion King” came out on video it was my nephew Bobby’s favorite movie. His favorite song was “I Just Can’t Wait To Be King.” He used to sing it to me all the time. Although he didn’t know all the words, especially the dialogue in between the singing, he would bluff his way through it by quickly mumbling his way past the places he got stuck.

One of the things that makes a Disney song great is the memories that an individual associates with it. I can’t think of this tournament finalist without being taken back to the time when my nephew was the apple of my eye. That’s what makes it a strong contender for the title of Best Disney Song.

There’s not much more to be said about “When You Wish Upon A Star”. As I listened to this words a few more times while trying to pick a Finals winner I realized that not only does this song explain the quintessential and foundational Disney philosophy it states the most basic of human instincts. Each and every person is endowed by our creator with the need to obtain our desires. “When You Wish Upon A Star” encourages a person to believe that if they’re virtuous and sincere their dreams can come true. The song makes believers out of all of us.

So with “no time left on the clock” let’s look at the “scoreboard” and see who the tournament winner is.

The winner of the first ever Goofy Guy Disney Music Tournament is…

WHEN YOU WISH UPON A STAR

Thank you for following my Disney Music Tournament. I hope you have enjoyed my process of choosing the greatest Disney Song of All Time. If you have any comments or questions please email me at Rewindguy909@aol.com. I’d be happy to continue the conversation about this tournament and its participants